[nSLUG] Redhat and minimal X-less install

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Tue Dec 12 12:32:55 AST 2006

Hi:

I find it more and more difficult these days to set up a Linux
installation without X, from *any* distribution.  For example, just the
other day I was installing Slackware for s stripped-down file server.  I
had a Slack-10.1 CD lying around and used that, and left out all the X
packages.  The I installed slapt-get and used hat to upgrade to
Slack-11.  Bad things started to happen -- like for example, the "groff"
package contains, among other things, "gxditview", which is linked
against X libs, so the whole package "depends" on X.  Of course it
really doesn't, just one part of it which one wouldn't try use in a no-X
system.

But then, this whole "package dependency" thing is still pretty new to
Slackware :)