[nSLUG] A method of selecting best fit Linux distro

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sun Dec 3 16:59:49 AST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 16:43 -0400, D G Teed wrote:
> On 12/3/06, gnwiii at gmail.com <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         There are other considerations:
>
>         +1) Can the task be performed using the most common distro you
>         already have?
>
>         It is often better to keep the number of distros to a minimum,
>         even it
>         means extra work to support some applications.  Pick your main
>         distro
>         and add others only if there are compelling arguments against
>         your main distro.
>
> Good idea, but we are still working out what that distro will be.
> We have a bunch of FreeBSD and Solaris in majority, and
> Linux will be a replacement for FreeBSD over time.
> FreeBSD has dropped support for the backup client we need,
> and for other reasons we'd like to move to Linux.  I'd like
> to standardize on a couple of Linux distros, as you are getting at.

If you decide to go with RedHat and use the 2.6 kernels, you may want to
run tests first.  Our site had an issue with mutexs causing a lot of
system usage (48%), hindering user to less than 50%.  The RedHat they
were using was 2.6.9.27(forget the exact patch level) at the time.  I
told them about a final patch for AMD in 2.6.12, which they then tried
the newer kernel and it resolved the high system usage issue.

Watch 64-bit as not all apps have 64-bit ports yet.

Hope this helps.
Rich

!DSPAM:45733ac3320481787915644!