[nSLUG] Re: dpkg --force-depends causes problems for apt-get later

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 21:58:28 ADT 2006

I have a solution for faking xlibs is installed when I don't
want support for the X clients within a package (in
my case legato networker backup clients).

A used on debian-user mailing list
suggested equivs.

equivs was exactly the sort of solution I hoped
existed.  I knew Debian had a rational fix
for this but had never used equivs before.

First I had to uninstall lgtoclnt so that apt-get
would let me do things.

Then I installed equivs: apt-get install equivs

Then I build a simple controlfile:
====================================
# cat xlibs.ctl
Section: X11
Package: xlibs
Version: 4.1.1
Provides: xlibs
 This package provides dpkg with the information that
 there is a xlibs package installed.
 .
 Now installing lgtoclnt will not push for X support

Then I build a dummy package:  equivs-build xlibs.ctl
And finally: dpkg -i xlibs_4.1.1_all.deb
dpkg -i lgtoclnt_6.1-2_i386.deb

dpkg -l shows that the package is not real:

# dpkg -l | grep xlib
ii  xlibs          4.1.1          Xlibs dummy package

Great stuff.

--Donald

!DSPAM:44e90536285192426021188!