[nSLUG] dpkg --force-depends causes problems for apt-get later

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 16:26:54 ADT 2006

Howdy,

I have a package I've installed by alien for
legato networker backup client.  It comes
with X versions of the client, which I
don't need. Therefore I want the install to
ignore the xlibs and other dependancies.

# dpkg --force-depends -i lgtoclnt_6.1-2_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 12716 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace lgtoclnt 6.1-2 (using lgtoclnt_6.1-2_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement lgtoclnt ...
dpkg: lgtoclnt: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you request:
 lgtoclnt depends on libx11-6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0); however:
  Package libx11-6 is not installed.
  Package xlibs is not installed.
 lgtoclnt depends on libxext6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0); however:
  Package libxext6 is not installed.
  Package xlibs is not installed.
 lgtoclnt depends on libxt6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0); however:
  Package libxt6 is not installed.
  Package xlibs is not installed.
Setting up lgtoclnt (6.1-2) ...

That method works, as does doing it with --ignore-depends=xlibs

However, later when I want to install anything with apt-get,
I get complaints about the previous installation status.
e.g.:

# apt-get install libncurses4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  lgtoclnt: Depends: libx11-6 but it is not going to be installed or
                     xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libxext6 but it is not going to be installed or
                     xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libxt6 but it is not going to be installed or
                     xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

Of course apt-get -f install would install the whole bloody X-Window
system, which I don't want to do on a nice minimal headless server.

I'm sure there is a solution to this by hand messaging /etc/apt files
or something like it.

Anyone with a suggestion other than abusing force and ignore
depends switches or installing X?

--Donald

!DSPAM:44e6147f155341187915048!