[nSLUG] Sarge-->Etch-->Sarge and weirdness.

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 21:05:07 ADT 2006

On 8/17/06, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> Robert Ashley wrote:
> > My etch installation (netinstall CD) stopped in its tracks. Can't find
> > Ethnernet card and no matches in their list. Can't find scsi drives
> > and no matches in their list.
>
> What ethernet card and scsi controller do you have?

Ethernet:
D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A)
(also see below for lscpi -v output)

SCSI:
SEAGATE ST318437LW SCSI Disk Device (18.40 GB) --drive 0
and...
SEAGATE ST318437LW SCSI Disk Device (18.40 GB) --drive 1

Controllers
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

> >   It seemed ironic to me that their
> > instruction was to go load drivers from a floppy when the installation
> > says that etch i386 installations can no longer be done from a floppy.
>
> To be fair, installing from floppy and loading drivers from floppy are
> two different things.  It is a major hassle to continue to maintain the
> install from floppy option, whereas just loading extra drivers from
> floppy is no trouble at all to support.

Point taken.

> But get this, I remove the etch CD, boot into Sarge and the mouse that
> > didn't work....NOW works.  Weird.  I suspect it was my not seating the
> > plug properly or something goofy-ditzy like that.  I ain't
> > complaining.
>
> Er?  You didn't accidentally install some Etch materials over on top of
> your Sarge install, did you?

I have no idea, but the Etch install certainly didn't get far, only a few
screens into it before the Ethernet driver must be selected.

> So now I've got a functional Sarge, and unlike the etch installer,
> > Sarge found the ethernet card, found the scsi drives no probs.
>
> Are those PCI devices?  What's the lspci -v output for them?  Which
> kernel version are you using on Sarge (cat /proc/version)?

0000:00:08.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
(rev 43)
    Subsystem: D-Link System Inc DFE-530TX rev A
    I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
    Memory at da010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]

 0000:02:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Initio Corporation 360P (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Unknown device 9292:0202
    I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
    Memory at d9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=32K]

0000:02:08.0 SCSI storage controller: Initio Corporation 360P (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Unknown device 9292:0202
    I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
    Memory at d9001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=32K]

Kernel: 2.4.27-2-386 #1

Thanks for your help, Ben. Thanks too for indicating the relevant commands.
My vocab here is still pretty limited.

Bob

Ben

!DSPAM:44e50437118991798414285!