[nSLUG] Re: Progress!! [More on deja vu with X Windows/Debian prob]

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 17 02:28:50 ADT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 01:54 -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
> sg> Do not edit the X config by hand unless you really need to. Use the
> sg> distro's built in tools.
>
> Rich> Learning is fun :)
> Rich> Just save copies and more copies before playing.
>
> Yeah.  I've been editing the X config file since Day 1.  At one point,
> I had to fetch a special version of the server that would run on i810,
> another time to downgrade to an earlier version to support old
> hardware.

:)

> And AFAIK, there is no distro built-in tool in Slackware to config X.
> I have Slak 10.1 running on 7 machines and have hit only one problem
> that completely stumped me. (One P-II machine will not run X with a
> PS/2 mouse despite PS/2 mouse port on mobo.  Tried everything,
> incantations, dead chicken, boot to the head etc.)

Check CMOS to see if it was disabled or something using the INT.
PS/2 was usually hardwired to INT11 on some mb.  Was it enabled in the
kernel?  Old kernel version?

On slack - :)  XConfigurator was about the fanciest, but changed in
4.x

> > Also, using TTF fonts....Xorg has gotten better at handling TTF font
> > files - less crashes. I used to run the Xfont service that way, you
> > just recycle the service, and X doesn't blow out.  No need to do
> > that these days. There have been many improvements. :)
>
> I never got X fonts sorted out so I understood what was going on.  I
> should do that.  I have fonts that suit me for a 19" monitor but most
> of my machines have 15" or oldish laptop monitors and I think I
> *ought* to be able to get an arrangement that I like better than what I
> have.  I don't actually know if Slackware comes with all the available
> fonts (for more or less Roman characters) or some convenient subset.

Dropline Gnome adds quite a bit.  Plus it optimizes X for 686.
TTF fonts are easy to setup in X.  I had a bunch around from my Corel
Draw disks and plus a bunch my friends gave me over the years, totaling
around 500+.  Come in handy for desktop publishing.

A great walk thru
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/12/adding-windows-fonts-in-linux.html

Pretty much, create the dir, copy the font files into that dir, cd into
that dir run mkfontdir, edit a file fonts.cache-1 in the parent of the
dir, then run fc-cache,  Then add the path to the FontPath section in
config file. Just follow the website.  Its much easier these than 3.x
was, we had run a few font utilities and adjust a few things to get them
to work. It makes Gimp very powerful. I used to use Photoshop, now that
it reads those files, I only miss it a little. :)

Restart X - now Gimp, OpenOffice, FireFox, Netscape, and the system will
now have access to all the TTF fonts now.

The one thing nice about X font server, if you run a lot of systems and
dont want to copy your fonts to every system.  Run it as a service, and
then add the font path  FontPath "unix/:7100" - it will make your fonts
shareable with other machines.  Another good feature is if it encounters
a bad font it wont crash, it will simply drop the service, leaving the
other system fonts.  Just restart the service and the fonts are back -
no need to restart X. :)

Font corruption is common with Windows because it rewrites TTF files on
the fly, any time you change resolutions, dpi, printer, etc.  Fonts in
Windows become ticking time bombs.  How many nights spent
troubleshooting why we saw Japanese characters on the screen - bad TTF
or FON file caused WinXX to freak out, usually a core font was the
culprit.

!DSPAM:44e3fe8d254498302773855!