[nSLUG] WRT54GS router

Aaron Spanik aaronspanik at eastlink.ca
Wed Aug 16 18:32:55 ADT 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:56:09 -0300 (ADT)
ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca wrote:

> Hello,
> I bought a Linksys WRT54GS router at Staples with the hope to use openwrt.
>
> It was impossible to figure out which version of the router was in the box
> so I now have a v6 router whereas openwrt only supports v4 and earlier
> models.

http://www.linksysinfo.org is your friend when you're buying one of these.

If you check out the tables at the bottom of this page:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=47124

One of the items in the table is "Serial Number" which generally
appears in the white box with the UPC code.  You obviously want one
with a serial number that doesn't start with CGN7xxxx, as those ones
run VxWorks instead of Linux and generally cannot be flashed with
third-party firmwares.

There used to be a handier chart of serials/versions, but I can't find
it since they redid the site.

> If anyone has a WRT54G v4 or earlier, I'd gladly swap my new router with
> yours.
>
> otherwise, should I wait for openwrt to catch up to v6, or should I bring
> it back to Staples and buy a v4 from ebay?
> Cheers,

There's a hardware advantage to the v5 (4MB ROM instead of 2MB) and even moreso for the v4 (8MB ROM instead of 4MB and 32MB RAM instead of 16MB).  If you can get a used v4 that's guaranteed working, you might go that way.  You could also find out if anyone is carrying the WRT54GL, which is the same as a v4 WRT54G/GS.  I haven't run into any limitations with my v5 WRT54G, but at the same time it's doing nothing but bridging my network.

Good luck!

/a

aaronspanik at eastlink.ca

!DSPAM:44e38ddf238091387286293!