[nSLUG] Follow-up (Debian, no X window)..got one mouse working -

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 18:19:01 ADT 2006

A couple of quirks.  If I do

#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

then on the mouse screen choose

/dev/input/mice  <YES>

the next screen does NOT contain the option to select "ImPS2"

Rather, it's

"Enable 3 button mouse?"  <YES>

and next screen is

"Enable scroll events from mouse wheel" <YES>

This give me no mouse and no keyboard, essentially freezing me at the
graphical login.

But...If on the first mouse selection screen I do

/dev/psaux

the next screen gives me various choices, including

ImPS/2

So, in conclusion, I can't get to the ImPS/2 option if on the previous
screen I choose /dev/input/mice...AND I CAN get the ImPS/2 option if
on the previous screen I choose /dev/psaux.

In sum, the mice suspects:

1) Old Logitech 2-button, works with /dev/psaux then PS/2

2) New Microsoft 2-button + wheel 1) hasn't worked yet, 2) freezes the
keyboard (in graphic log-in) and 3) disabled launch of X windows,
these errors depending on choice of /dev/input/mice and either enabled
or disabled 3-button emulation and scroll wheel.

The old mouse is 5-pin serial.
The new mouse is a USB plugged into a ps/2 adapter, then into the box
on the serial mouse input.

I have two USB ports. Should I try removing the ps/2 adapter?

Any suggestions, thanks!! In any case, I still have a functional
debian sarge with gnome and working input devices.  Getting there!

Appreciate everybody's input so far.

Bob