[nSLUG] Re: Progress!! [More on deja vu with X Windows/Debian prob]

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Aug 15 13:17:11 ADT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 02:31 -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
> > Well, once you get these two values - it will determine the modlines
> > needed. So no need to calc those anymore. :)
>
> "*It* will determine"? *What* will determine? You mean that all you
> need in xorg.conf is the hsynch and vsynch values and the right driver
> name in Section "Device" and X (in my case xorg) will figure out all
> the rest?  I can just elide the modelines from xorg.conf?

Yes to all, except the modes - these are needed if you want custom
modes.  A lot of times, the higher resolutions are not created
automatically.

modes are not the same as modelines :)

ModeLine "640x480" 69.88 640 672 832 896 480 482 494 520 #150Hz

These setup the specs for each frequency - a good site was
http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines
that helped calculate them for your monitor.

In xorg and XFree86 4.x, they are calculated using the Horiz and Vert
sync values.  I think the default these days is 1024x768, or it still
may be 640x480.  Been a while since I started it from scratch.

All that you need is the depth and modes list.

> FWIW, it seems like learning to use install/setup menus to get X
> working right is just as tedious and error prone as learning
> to manually edit xorg.conf/XF86Config.

:) Xorg is MANY MANY times easier than the old 3.x days.

!DSPAM:44e1f38e155671877469715!