[nSLUG] Re: Progress!! [More on deja vu with X Windows/Debian prob]

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Tue Aug 15 10:59:38 ADT 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 02:31:43AM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> "*It* will determine"? *What* will determine? You mean that all you
> need in xorg.conf is the hsynch and vsynch values and the right driver
> name in Section "Device" and X (in my case xorg) will figure out all
> the rest?  I can just elide the modelines from xorg.conf?

Yes as long as you want to use a standard resolution. There are many
built in modelines.

BUT: You should not need to edit xorg.con/XF86Config. Most
distrobutions edit this file for you. In the case of debian use the
command

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Do not edit the X config by hand unless you really need to. Use the
distro's built in tools.

--
sg

!DSPAM:44e1d394149179277070922!