[nSLUG] Progress!! [More on deja vu with X Windows/Debian prob]

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Aug 15 01:39:59 ADT 2006

> > Thanks for getting me this far. Big progress. Any suggestions for
> > getting either mouse operational?
> >

> find which device you mouse is using
> you need to turn off emulate 3 buttons and enable Zaxis
> for the wheel to work - IMPS/2 works for most mice (Logitech, and other
> newer USB wheel mice). The USB mouse uses the hid driver which I'm
> pretty uses the /dev/psaux device - you can create a link to it if it
> doesn't exist.
>

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> EndSection
>

> > Oh yeah, this came up on the onboard controls of my KDS Visual
> > Sensations 17" monitor.
> > "HF 68.5kHz   Vf 85Hz" 1024x768
> >

> Try setting the HorizSync 31.0-68.5
> and VertSync 50-85
>
> Check on the back of the monitor.
> Should be a Model No. ####
> This is what you can search on - most monitor models are very unique ids
> and you can find them pretty easy.
>
> Looking at your specs
>
> VS-7
> Maximum noninterlaced resolution: 1,280 x 1,024 at 60 Hz
>   * Maximum refresh rate: 160 Hz
>   * Horizontal frequency: 30 to 70 KHz
>   * Vertical frequency: 50 to 160 Hz
>

> VS-8i
> Horizontal frequency: 30 to 87 KHz
>   * Vertical frequency: 50 to 160 Hz

Sorry hit the send by mistake. :)
What you want to do is track down your monitor model.
Find these values and set them in the xorg.conf file

The lower numbers allow for smaller resolutions, this covers VGA modes,
like 640x480 and smaller.  30 is the min Horiz, and 50 min Vertical.
I think that stems back to the old EGA cards. I remember overclocking a
video card one time to 32.0 :) talk about smoke and panic... lots a
whistling and probably only frequencies a dog could hear.

Well, once you get these two values - it will determine the modlines
needed. So no need to calc those anymore. :)  What you do need is
resolutions and color depth.  If you find the max for you monitor, for
17" probably be 1280x1024 if you have a higher end model.  Look for the
maximum resolution for your monitor - it will list it on the tech page.

Here is an example of the modes, put the default one first then go down
the list.  You can switch between resolutions using
CTRL-ALT-KEYPAD_PLUS/MINUS

SubSection "Display"
Depth     24
Modes "1920x1440" "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"

xorg will calculate the best freq to use with each mode, all you need to
do is suggest them. :) modlines used to be fun.

Oh well
good luck

Rich

!DSPAM:44e15017128029863014492!