[nSLUG] Progress!! [More on deja vu with X Windows/Debian prob]

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Aug 15 01:27:16 ADT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 22:23 -0300, Robert Ashley wrote:
> Thanks nslug, you're making progress for me.
>
> I checked status of gdm/GNOME per Jack- OK, installed.
>
> I did (per Stephen)
> # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> Here I changed several parameters, including video driver, to 'ati',
> which I know is right.
>
> Weird happening on restart. Debian tried to start gnome on its own,
> not once, not twice, but three times, then returning me to the command
> line.  Here, it looked like the monitor was switched off, then on,
> then off, then on, then off, then on back to the console. But at this
> juncture...
>
> #startx
>
> Success, a Gnome desktop, with low resolution (big icons). Progress.
> Rebooted, same deal...off/on, off/on, off/on, then to console log-in.
>
> Mouse didn''t work in the gnome environment. I tried a couple.
>
> Mouse No. 1 - Microsoft two-button, with wheel, and red brake light on
> front. This is a USB mouse, plugged into a USB-to-5-pin serial
> adapter. Tried several settings with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
>
> Mouse No. 2 - An old Logitech two-button, straight 5-pin PS/2 and it
> didn't work either.
>
> But then...
>
> I rebooted again and this time Debian escorted me straight to the
> graphic user/password log-in. It accepted my keyboard inputs just fine
> and launched the gnome desktop. No mouse again. But the desktop did
> respond to Ctrl+Alt F5/F7 keyboard commands, also Ctrl+Alt with arrow
> keys would take me through the virtual desktop icons.
>
> I noted several other options in dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 that
> I could not answer, for example "Please enter your video card bus ID".
> And the mouse directions weren't exactly lucid to me. Is a USB mouse
> going through a PS/2 adapter, a USB or PS/2 mouse?
>
> Both mouses work in Windows.
>
> Thanks for getting me this far. Big progress. Any suggestions for
> getting either mouse operational?

find which device you mouse is using
you need to turn off emulate 3 buttons and enable Zaxis
for the wheel to work - IMPS/2 works for most mice (Logitech, and other
newer USB wheel mice). The USB mouse uses the hid driver which I'm
pretty uses the /dev/psaux device - you can create a link to it if it
doesn't exist.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

> Oh yeah, this came up on the onboard controls of my KDS Visual
> Sensations 17" monitor.
> "HF 68.5kHz   Vf 85Hz" 1024x768

Try setting the HorizSync 31.0-68.5
and VertSync 50-85

Check on the back of the monitor.
Should be a Model No. ####
This is what you can search on - most monitor models are very unique ids
and you can find them pretty easy.

Looking at your specs

VS-7
Maximum noninterlaced resolution: 1,280 x 1,024 at 60 Hz
  * Maximum refresh rate: 160 Hz
  * Horizontal frequency: 30 to 70 KHz
  * Vertical frequency: 50 to 160 Hz

VS-8i
Horizontal frequency: 30 to 87 KHz
  * Vertical frequency: 50 to 160 Hz
> Appreciate any help on a next step.
>
> Bob
>

> On 8/13/06, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 05:15:32PM -0300, Robert Ashley wrote:
> > >
> > > Then, afterwards, by pure coincidence I tried tasksel and this brought
> > > me back to installation screen where I could select "Desktop
> > > Environment". I did.
> >
> > It sounds like you did everything properly you just need to
> > reconfigure X. IIRC this command will do that:
> >
> > # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> >
> > --
> > sg

Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca>