[nSLUG] More on deja vu with X Windows/Debian prob

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 14 00:53:56 ADT 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 23:26 -0300, D G Teed wrote:

:) I agree - good place to start

> 1. Look in the error log for Xorg or XFree86.  It will
> appear in /var/log.  Scan through the output of
> the log file looking for lines begining with (EE)
> (means error) or (WW) means warning.  These are
> clues as to what the X session didn't like, leading
> to it bombing out.

Post the log with the errors - this will help isolate it.

> 2. Google for the config file name and your brand
> and model of notebook, or the monitor,
> graphics card, etc.  This will point you to hints of
> what others found did and didn't work.  I've seen
> many cases where simply removing bad
> horizontal and vertical refresh rates allowed X
> to run where it had failed before with
> auto-configured values.

Yup, seen this a lot - especially when it can detect some newer plug n
pray models (the VertRefresh never seems to be correct).  If you don't
have the specs for your monitor (back of the monitor manual), the old
SuperVGA syncs should work til you locate the sync values.

Try
HorizSync   30-50
VertRefresh 50-90
this should get you basic 640x480

If you don't have the values, do a search in google, many sites selling
your monitor sometimes list the specs.

Did you install any kernel module video drivers - like Nvidia modules?

!DSPAM:44dff3d3206031456512444!