[nSLUG] More on deja vu with X Windows/Debian prob

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 17:15:32 ADT 2006

During the install I went with default selections on anything I wasn't
sure about. If fact, it wasn't until after the install was done that I
learned *how* to make a selection--with the space bar--.  No desktop
environment was installed, then.

Then, afterwards, by pure coincidence I tried tasksel and this brought
me back to installation screen where I could select "Desktop
Environment". I did. Then loads of net install happened for the next
45 mins or so.  I thought, "Well, this looks good".  Here's a
screenshot of the exact screen (image #34), at

http://www.linuxcdmall.com/debian-3.1r0-screenshots-34.html

Here's the next screenshot, #35
http://www.linuxcdmall.com/debian-3.1r0-screenshots-35.html

Maybe I screwed up here!! No idea about the various possible
selections. I think I just hit ENTER which would have given me the
'vesa' choice, I think.  As it happens, the title of this screenshot
of the Debian installation process is, "Configuring xserver-xfree86"
My graphics display card is ATI Technologies 3D RAGE PRO. AGP 2X
[Display Adapter]

After that (after installation and after booting up and getting the
console) I started to get the error messages and the failure to launch
gnome. The first screen says:

I cannot start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely
that it is no set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server
output to diagnose the problem?
Yes/No

then....

XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sargel
20050901212727fjp at local host. localdomain) X Protocol Version II,
Revision 0, Release 6.6 Build operating System. Linux 2.6.8-16.0505-2
1686 [ELF] Build Date 02 September 2005

This version of XFree86 has been extensively modified by the Debian
Project, and is not supported by the XFree86 Project Inc. in any way.
Bugs should be reported to the Debin Bug Tracking System, see
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting. We strongly encourage the use of
the "report bug" package and command to ensure that bug reports
contain as much useful information as possible.
<OK>

then....

Would you like to view the detailed X server output as well?
<YES> (default)       <NO>

then...

I will disable this X server for now. Restart GDM when it is
configured correctly.
<OK>

Do you think I selected the wrong driver during installation? Sorta
looks like that, no?

Bob