[nSLUG] new Sarge, no X

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 13:32:12 ADT 2006

Hi!

The command

apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment

from the command line will install everything needed for gnome. No X,
gdm or synaptics is needed before hand.

The command for configuring any package in a Debian-based system is
dpkg-reconfigure <pkg-name>. For X the package is xserver-xfree86 or
xserver-xorg.

An easy way to see whether your graphics hardware is supported at all
might be a Debian-based Live-CD with good hardware detection like
Knoppix or Kanotix.

Is there any particular reason why you want Debian stable and not Ubuntu?

-Oliver

--
http://www.oliver-doepner.de/

!DSPAM:44df540d182211116428758!