[nSLUG] Deja Vu all over again - Sarge new install, no X Windows

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Sun Aug 13 09:54:04 ADT 2006

Hi Rob

You may recall from messages last fall that I bought a new AMD64-based
laptop. I have still not got it set up the way I would like. As part
of trying to *get* it set up, I did a Debian Etch install just a few
weeks ago and ran into the same problem that you have found.

By the way, during the install, were you asked to configure X? I know
I was, and if you did not do this, you will have to do it by running
the xorg configuration utility, whose name I can't remember.

To solve the problem I first did an

apt-get install gdm

where gdm is the gnome display manager. (You should check in the
file /var/lib/dpkg/status that package gdm is *not* installed first.)
On the next bootup, the login screen was the gdm display manager
screen. From this screen before logging in you need to go into the
"session" menu (I think it is) and choose a window manager. In my
case there were two already installed by the network install process,
twm and fvwm (if I remember correctly). Having selected a window
manager, log in in the usual way and you should get a minimal
desktop.

>From there I used the menu that was available from the window manager.
(I think I chose twm, and to get the menu I had to right click on the
root window.) I brought up synaptic, the package manager application.
Using synaptic, I was able to install KDE. You should be able to
install gnome in the same way. After installing your favourite
desktop system, log out again, use the gdm "session" menu item again
to select your preferred desktop environment, and then log in again.
You should now be in the desktop environment that you just selected.
If not, try rebooting. If this doesn't work then your problem is more
complex than mine was.

Regards

Jack