[nSLUG] Configuring Aliant High Speed under Linux

Gerard MacNeil gemacwiz at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 20 09:27:50 ADT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 23:42 -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> If you need to use PPPoE and have a regular modem then on Debian based
> distros use "pppoeconf" once to configure pppoe.
>
> The following commands bring the interface up and down.
>    pon dsl-provider
> and
>    poff dsl-provider

>  The ethernet
> interface needs to be up. I can't remember if this is handled
> automagically or not.

The current version of pppoeconf updates /etc/network/interfaces
Mine looks like:

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
     provider dsl-provider
# please do not modify the following line
     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf

The password get stuffed in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets like all other ppp
configurations.

Gerard

!DSPAM:4447876448431317010859!