[nSLUG] Aliant PPPoE

Jim Haliburton jim at on-site.ns.ca
Thu Apr 20 16:34:22 ADT 2006

Aliant and many telco PPPoE have bugs particulalry with fragmented
packets.  There is a patch / hack to overcome this.  The Linux box can
connect directly to the modem but the work around for the packet
fragmentation fixes it and must be used.  If I had the link to the fix I
would post it.  Don't have it now.

I always suggest that if Eastlink is available then it is the much
preferred provider.  Technical support with Aliant is spotty, the email
servers are bell-nexia in Ontario.  The DNS and other servers ( e.g.
authentication servers ) at Aliant have had several, many hours long,  (
one over 6 hours )  outages over the last 12 months.  Their internet
service is NOT telco grade.  Their residential terms of service used to
have, and may still have, a prohibition against keep alives or such steps
as checking for e-mail every 5 minutes to keep the connection up.  It is
NOT an always there service.  It requires a login and reacquisition of IP
after a time out period.  The IP is always changing as frequently as
every 10 minutes on their old pre-PPPoE service.  Generally for the same
bandwidth it is more expensive.

Executive conclusion: If there is an alternate provider, USE IT.

The above rant is based on installing configuring and fixing litterally
dozens and dozens of connections with each provider.

Jim Haliburton

!DSPAM:4447e24457528177510508!