[nSLUG] Re: nSLUG Digest, Vol 27, Issue 8

Craig MacEachern whiskey.fuelled at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 03:10:07 ADT 2006

Thanks for all the help everyone, I've finally got all the distributions
booting properly. Using "linux acpi=off" mode from the cd boot prompt is
working, and everything is detected and it runs fine (Ubuntu and Fedora Core
5 I've tried so far).

Funny story (and frustratingly stupid of me): After fiddling with BIOS
settings, trying to free up IRQ by disabling the parallel port and ps/2 (My
BIOS wouldn't let me manually configure IRQs, I also switched off the Plug
and Play OS option), I found my problem was much much simplier. Simplier as
in a typo. This whole time I believe I was typing "apci=off" instead of
"acpi=off" (Which would account for the weird errors I would get using the
typoed option)

It was as simple as that. With ACPI off, the system boots fine in graphical
mode and everything is detected. I did learn quite a bit from all this
fooling around though!

 Next I'm trying to figure out how to get connected with Aliant's High Speed
internet in Linux.

!DSPAM:4445d441238328217519221!