[nSLUG] Re: Multi-distribution install problem

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 07:24:31 ADT 2006

Well, it comes down to opinions based on experiences
and word of mouth I guess.

In mine, onboard video has more variance from one
system/maker to another than does dedicated video
device.  And yes, I've heard people using Windows have
seen that problem as well.

On the theory end, it makes sense to me that a full PCI
device is going to be implemented in a more standard
way than an embedded device in a motherboard.
There are still other variances like BIOS, IRQ conflicts, etc.,
but the embedded or dedicated variance is a big one.

On 4/13/06, daryl macdonald <dgmacd at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Donald Teed wrote:
> > On 4/11/06, *daryl macdonald* <dgmacd at eastlink.ca
> > <mailto:dgmacd at eastlink.ca>> wrote:
> >

> >     >I'm not sure on the cause of the reboots but I've got an HP
> >     system here
> >     >with onboard Intel i810 video system and I've been running Ubuntu
> >     5.10
> >     >with no problems at all so I don't think it's the video card per
> se.
> >

> > I've seen some odd things with same hardware in different revs
> > or in different motherboards, so I have to disagree with that.
> >
> (snip)
> >
> > I've also seen dramatic differences in system stability
> > between one revision of a broadcom network wireless
> > mini-PCI device and the next revision up.  So, yes, everything
> > that is different can matter a great deal.
> >
> > At least if it isn't a notebook you have more flexibility.
> >
> > --Donald
> >

> I've seen some weird things as well on pretty much identical systems
> under windows, I was simply saying that blaming it just on the onboard
> video didn't seem right just simply cause it was onboard and intel i810.
> Could be a combination of the firmware, motherboard revision, amount of
> ram to the video card or any other issue. I was just saying that the
> version I had was working fine but like everything, what works for me
> may not work for you.

!DSPAM:443e26e1297583039616860!