[nSLUG] Re: Multi-distribution install problem

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Apr 12 23:42:14 ADT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 21:32 -0300, Donald Teed wrote:
> On 4/11/06, daryl macdonald <dgmacd at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
>         >I'm not sure on the cause of the reboots but I've got an HP
>         system here
>         >with onboard Intel i810 video system and I've been running
>         Ubuntu 5.10
>         >with no problems at all so I don't think it's the video card
>         per se.
>

> I've seen some odd things with same hardware in different revs
> or in different motherboards, so I have to disagree with that.

hehe its not just Linux...

I remember trying to setup PC's running Windows95, one quick way was to
ghost an image then mass copy the drives. Then we would apply the
licenses when the machines booted.

We used the same images.  Had recently bout 20 PC's at the time.
Then cloned the hard drives.  Everything worked about 80% of the time.
What we found out, firmware versions can really muck up cloning.
Especially, if old version had bugs that would cause Windows to black
screen (AMD K6-3's  or 3COM 3c590b NIC)

The best was copying the DDLS from the most recent MS product to each
machine, you know Microsoft's ultimate fix for DDL errors.  This was how
our manager decided to eliminate all Oracle DB issues... hehe didn't
work.  Caused more problems than it fixed... :)

So just because a PC looks the same, has the same brand name cards, the
chances that all those devices came from the same lot number, production
plant, shift, whatever...  you probably have better odds winning the
lottery.

However, it does happen.  You all know that there are only so many key
combinations for the door locks right, well, by chance when my aunt
bought her locks, we bought ours a few days later, not sure if it was
the same store.  Anyway, the keys matched!  It was freaky, we could
access each others house.

Rich

!DSPAM:443dba80285918942215643!