[nSLUG] Re: Multi-distribution install problem

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Apr 12 02:42:36 ADT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 22:00 -0300, daryl macdonald wrote:

> > Today's Topics:
> >
> >    1.  Multi-distribution install problem (Craig MacEachern)
> >    2. Re:  Multi-distribution install problem (Gordon Jones)
> >    3. Re:  Multi-distribution install problem (Donald Teed)
> >    4. Re:  Multi-distribution install problem (Rich)
> >    5. Re:  Multi-distribution install problem (gnwiii at gmail.com)

> I'm not sure on the cause of the reboots but I've got an HP system here
> with onboard Intel i810 video system and I've been running Ubuntu 5.10
> with no problems at all so I don't think it's the video card per se. How
> much RAM do you have assigned to the video card? I think I have 16 meg
> (anyone tell me exactly where to check that in Ubuntu?) or maybe
> something with the monitor that the installs don't like. Only other
> thing I can think of is bad burns.

>  lspci

find what slot is assigned to the controller

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
5200] (rev a1)

Then try

> lspci -s 01:00.0 -vv

Region 0: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Region 1: Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]

most newer cards can be detected, older cards may not respond and
require to manually specify memory size.

------------

To Craig,

As for the reboots, it could be a few things.
Need to know if the system ever booted without errors.
Are there any other PCI cards, is everything on-board?
Are all cards secure - check that all cards are seat properly, maybe
jarred loose.  Check your hard drive cables - are they all tightly
connected.  Any new drives, or parts recently added to the inside of the
box?

Can it be a hardware interrupt conflict, Video trying to grab INT 9 or
10 (etc), and something else is using the same INT.  Check Bios.
Were BIOS settings reset?  Maybe RAM is set at incorrect speed.

Not enough info to determine which path to take.

Regards,
Rich

!DSPAM:443c9345254801056930999!