[nSLUG] Re: Multi-distribution install problem

daryl macdonald dgmacd at eastlink.ca
Tue Apr 11 22:00:31 ADT 2006

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1.  Multi-distribution install problem (Craig MacEachern)
>    2. Re:  Multi-distribution install problem (Gordon Jones)
>    3. Re:  Multi-distribution install problem (Donald Teed)
>    4. Re:  Multi-distribution install problem (Rich)
>    5. Re:  Multi-distribution install problem (gnwiii at gmail.com)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:10:19 -0300
> From: "Craig MacEachern" <whiskey.fuelled at gmail.com>
> Subject: [nSLUG] Multi-distribution install problem
> To: nslug at nslug.ns.ca
>
> I'm using a Compaq Presario model number SR1110NX (512 MB ram, 2.4 Ghz
> Celeron processor). I've tried 3 different distributions: Redhat Fedora Core
> 5, Ubuntu 5.10, and Debian 3.1 (Sarge).
>
> My problem is that when I boot from the install cds, after I try to enter
> the main install stage the computer reboots everytime. I get past the
> to initialize the monitor and it fails. I've tried advanced starts by
> specifying no probes, and vga mode, and every other mode possible that is
> listed under the f1 help menus. Still the same problem.
>
> I've checked the md5 checksum on each cd, and they are ok so the cds aren't
> bad (I'm burning at 4x too). I've checked bios settings and made sure that
> it only boots off cd and checks for nothing else. I have windows xp
> installed, if that may be a problem?
>
> Any ideas on the cause of the rebooting? If you need any other information
> at all I'll gladly find out, I'm frustrated and close to giving up.

I'm not sure on the cause of the reboots but I've got an HP system here
with onboard Intel i810 video system and I've been running Ubuntu 5.10
with no problems at all so I don't think it's the video card per se. How
much RAM do you have assigned to the video card? I think I have 16 meg
(anyone tell me exactly where to check that in Ubuntu?) or maybe
something with the monitor that the installs don't like. Only other
thing I can think of is bad burns.

!DSPAM:443c513c247811038719394!