[nSLUG] Multi-distribution install problem

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Apr 10 21:51:40 ADT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 18:10 -0300, Craig MacEachern wrote:
> I'm using a Compaq Presario model number SR1110NX (512 MB ram, 2.4 Ghz
> Celeron processor). I've tried 3 different distributions: Redhat
> Fedora Core 5, Ubuntu 5.10, and Debian 3.1 (Sarge).
>
> My problem is that when I boot from the install cds, after I try to
> enter the main install stage the computer reboots everytime. I get
> past the loading initz, and it says Kernel loaded ok, then I think it
> may be trying to initialize the monitor and it fails. I've tried
> advanced starts by specifying no probes, and vga mode, and every other
> mode possible that is listed under the f1 help menus. Still the same
> problem.
>
> I've checked the md5 checksum on each cd, and they are ok so the cds
> aren't bad (I'm burning at 4x too). I've checked bios settings and
> made sure that it only boots off cd and checks for nothing else. I
> have windows xp installed, if that may be a problem?
>
> Any ideas on the cause of the rebooting? If you need any other
> information at all I'll gladly find out, I'm frustrated and close to
> giving up.

Check this site - Intel Graphics sort of suck

http://users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/intel.html

I checked your specs on the model:
Intel Extreme Graphic - i810, this is still flaky.
They recommend getting the drivers from their site.
If you want my opinion, save some headaches, disable the onboard video,
buy a nice ATI or NVidia card for $65 or less depending on what you are
using it for.  Nvidia GeForce work very nice in Linux, drivers are
constantly updated. Haven't dabbled much with ATI, but the rage128's
worked fine at work.

To get it installed, use text mode, find out what the distro uses for
text mode.  Download the latest drivers from Intel for the i810, and try
to get X working.  Even with the latest drivers, it sounds like Intel is
not a good choice at this time.

Regards,Rich

!DSPAM:443afd9b225011889412773!