[nSLUG] small linux

Diane Derrick diane.derrick at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 5 20:07:20 ADT 2006

I haven't posted in a while but every time I do I get good help.  So here's the project.  I have and old pentium 200 with 256 MB ram.  What I want to do is to get a small enough version of linux to boot from a cf card.  The goal is to have NAS and if possible play MP3s and movies from the hard drive.
Some of the small distros I have looked at lead me to believe that they access the hardware directly and will be able to overcome hdd bois limitations.  Is this true for all, or most linux?  I have looked a few different distros including freenas and ByzantineOS.  Basically I am looking for suggestions.  The MP3 and movie thing may be too much for the P200, and I would have to deal with the TVout thing to play movies on a big screen, but I thought I'd try to make use of the old guy.  Any thoughts?

!DSPAM:44344f04182011823918703!