[nSLUG] Mail movement issue

Rowan Townshend rtownshend at emslimited.ca
Thu Sep 29 15:23:46 ADT 2005

Hello all,

  Well, I think it all may be working now.  I double checked my
sendmail.mc file (specifically the SMART_HOST line), and found it to be
commented out.  So, I removed the comment part to make the line active,
and the system seems to work fine now.  We are going to give it some
time to see if any more problem domains come up, but I have good
feelings about this.  Just the same, here's my sendmail.mc file, I used
the default Slackware file and just made changes to it.

dnl# This is the default sendmail .mc file for Slackware.  To generate
dnl# the sendmail.cf file from this (perhaps after making some changes),
dnl# use the m4 files in /usr/share/sendmail/cf like this:
dnl#
dnl# cp sendmail-slackware.mc /usr/share/sendmail/cf/config.mc
dnl# cd /usr/share/sendmail/cf
dnl# sh Build config.cf
dnl#
dnl# You may then install the resulting .cf file:
dnl# cp config.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
dnl#
include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`default setup for Slackware Linux')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
dnl# These settings help protect against people verifying email addresses
dnl# at your site in order to send you email that you probably don't want:
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',
`authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun,goaway')dnl
dnl# Uncomment the line below to send outgoing mail through an external
server:
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.eastlink.ca')
dnl# No timeout for ident:
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl

dnl# Server-Side SMTP-AUTH
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH', `/etc/mail/certs')dnl
define(`confCACERT', `/etc/mail/certs/cacert.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_CERT', `/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_KEY', `/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_CERT', `/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_KEY', `/etc/mail/certs/sendmail.pem')dnl
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl

dnl# Enable the line below to use smrsh to restrict what sendmail can run:
dnl FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
dnl# See the README in /usr/share/sendmail/cf for a ton of information on
dnl# how these options work:

dnl# Client-Side SMTP AUTH
FEATURE(`authinfo', `hash -o /etc/mail/authinfo.db')dnl

FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
FEATURE(`local_procmail',`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
FEATURE(`always_add_domain')dnl
FEATURE(`redirect')dnl
dnl# Turn this feature on if you don't always have DNS, or enjoy junk mail:
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
dnl# Also accept mail for localhost.localdomain:
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

So far so good,
-Rowan Townshend

Bill Davidson wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I don't think so -- if you were using the Eastlink server as your
>smart-host then surely your logs wouldn't say "relay=mx4.hotmail.com",
>they would say "relay=smtp.eastlink.ca".
>
>I don't think you need any of that smtp-auth stuff unless Eastlink told
>you so (and I doubt that).  I think you should simplify your mail setup
>and try again.  What I think you want is: relay through eastlink
>smarthost, relay only for local network.  Feel free to post your
>sendmail.mc file if you like --I'm not guaranteeing that I can make
>anything of it.
>
>What about receiving mail?  Is your new server with its static IP
>address going to be MX for your domain, or will you be retrieving mail
>from elsewhere?  If the latter, you can simplify things a lot because
>you don't need to be listening on port 25 on your external interface.

!DSPAM:433c3135147171620315297!