[nSLUG] Mail movement issue

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Thu Sep 29 13:52:59 ADT 2005

Hi:

On Thu, 2005-29-09 at 12:18 -0300, Rowan Townshend wrote:
[snip]
> Sep 29 10:50:50 silverserver sm-mta[21477]: j8TC2P9N018574: AUTH=client, available mechanisms do not fulfill requirements
> Sep 29 10:50:50 silverserver sm-mta[21477]: AUTH=client, relay=mx4.hotmail.com., temporary failure, connection abort
[snip]
> 2.)
>   I am using the SMART_HOST function in Sendmail to relay through
> "smpt.eastlink.ca".

I don't think so -- if you were using the Eastlink server as your
smart-host then surely your logs wouldn't say "relay=mx4.hotmail.com",
they would say "relay=smtp.eastlink.ca".

I don't think you need any of that smtp-auth stuff unless Eastlink told
you so (and I doubt that).  I think you should simplify your mail setup
and try again.  What I think you want is: relay through eastlink
smarthost, relay only for local network.  Feel free to post your
sendmail.mc file if you like --I'm not guaranteeing that I can make
anything of it.

What about receiving mail?  Is your new server with its static IP
address going to be MX for your domain, or will you be retrieving mail
from elsewhere?  If the latter, you can simplify things a lot because
you don't need to be listening on port 25 on your external interface.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca

!DSPAM:433c2102143901207313631!