[nSLUG] Re: Static IP woes

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Sep 21 17:08:26 ADT 2005

Rowan Townshend <rtownshend at emslimited.ca> quoth:

> In the mean time I need to figure out some issues with my install of
> Slackware 10.1 on the server, it does not seem to be handling the
> networking side of things very smoothly.  For example, on my
> Slackware box at home(9.1 upgraded to 10), when I make changes to my
> network settings I just type in "/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart" and
> away it goes.  On this server, it seems to want a reboot every time.

Assuming the "...rc.inet1" wasn't a typo:

FWIW, in my Slak 10.1, /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 doesn't parse a "restart"
argument, only "start", "stop" and "eth{0,1,2,3}_{start,stop,restart}"
arguments.  Lacking either "start", "stop" or eth?-specific arg, the
default is to try to bring up all available interfaces.  There is no
reference to /usr/sbin/inetd in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.

OTOH, /etc/rc.d/rc.inetd *does* parse a "restart" argument.
"/etc/rc.d/rc.inetd restart" leads to "killall inetd", then
"/usr/sbin/inetd" iff /usr/sbin/inetd exists and is executable.

I can't see how those factoids help you any but it might be a starting
point.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:4331bc17147551869987893!