[nSLUG] Static IP woes

Rowan Townshend rtownshend at emslimited.ca
Wed Sep 21 16:21:58 ADT 2005

Hello everyone,

  First of all, thank you to everyone for replying so quickly and
smartly. :-)

  I tried the DMZ idea, and for some reason (may be the switch I am
using), the Linux box (server) does not want to play along.  Either way,
I gave Eastlink a call and let them know that I was having "issues".
They removed some sort of filter that they had on the line and now
things seem to work better.  By better, I mean that I can lay in the
Static IP info into the router's external interface, and it works
(connection and data flow).  It does go down, and then comes back up,
but it's a vast improvement from before.

  I like the sounds of the DMZ idea, so I am going to keep working to
that end.  In the mean time I need to figure out some issues with my
install of Slackware 10.1 on the server, it does not seem to be handling
the networking side of things very smoothly.  For example, on my
Slackware box at home(9.1 upgraded to 10), when I make changes to my
network settings I just type in "/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart" and away it
goes.  On this server, it seems to want a reboot every time.  Something
for me to work on, as I see it.

  Thanks again for all your help,
-Rowan Townshend

!DSPAM:4331b2d4145501940949147!