[nSLUG] Static IP woes

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 14:53:39 ADT 2005

On 9/21/05, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Donald Teed wrote:
>
> > Here is a basic DNS test. Whip up a web browser.
> > The IP for www.imp.ca <http://www.imp.ca> <http://www.imp.ca> is
> > 142.176.189.229 <http://142.176.189.229><http://142.176.189.229>, so
> > you should be able to see http://142.176.189.229
> > If that IP works to load the page, but using www.imp.ca<http://www.imp.ca><
> http://www.imp.ca>does
> > not work, then you have a DNS issue, not a router issue.
>
> Unfortunately... no. If you go to http://142.176.189.229 you'll just get
> an immediate redirect to http://www.impsolutions.com, and if DNS is broken
> it will also result in an error.

I was wondering if that was happening, but dig
said the IP matched. But on the other
hand the same type of thing may be happening
at Acadia.

I was just looking for a simple example that wasn't
a server farm. In the old days you could use cbc.ca <http://cbc.ca>
Heck in the old days ping was a good test with DNS,
but now you have to be sure a site responds to pings.

I guess a better universal test that works from Linux or
Windows clients is nslookup, or dig if your Linux
has depreciated nslookup. Lookup any test name,
regardless of the proxies and firewalls at the target
site and you will either get an IP from it or not.
Test using different DNS servers on the fly
by entering the 'server' command in nslookup
and specifying whether to use your own DNS server
or the previous one from the ISP (enter the IP!).

One odd possibility that might come up: if nslookup
fails when using the ISP's DNS, and you can ping
something in the outside world by IP #, perhaps the ISP
doesn't allow you to use that DNS server from the
static IP's IP range.

!DSPAM:43319e25138518405821136!