[nSLUG] Static IP woes

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Tue Sep 20 14:45:32 ADT 2005

Hi:

I can't off the top of my head think why you would lose connectivity
through the router for the rest of the office, but I don't think you
want to put that server behind your router.  The router is probably
doing network address translation (NAT) and DHCP on the internal
network.  You should probably put the router and the server on a DMZ,
which can just be a small hub that attaches to the cable "modem".  In
other words, you want the ethernet cable from the modem to go into a
hub, and also plug your router and your server into the hub.  Then the
router doesn't have to try to route packets for the server.