[nSLUG] DHCP/DNS client-side question

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 21:37:38 ADT 2005

Another solution is to run a full DNS server yourself.
Set up support for lookups on your own LAN
(if you have even just a couple of machines) while
you are at it. This way, the DNS service/machine can be
behind a firewall where it won't be attacked by the
usual onslaught of hack and probe packets and it
may prove to be more responsive for that reason.

I did this originally when I had to QA a mail server
product from my home office, and I've continued to use
my own DNS server since.

On 9/17/05, Rick Wightman <wightman at unb.ca> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> > On the client look in /etc/resolv.conf it will list the DNS servers
> > that the client will use. On that other OS run the command ipconfig
> > /all.
>
> I thought odd that and then discarded it since as a config file I
> didn't seem reasonable for the system to mess with it, but rather it
> messes with the system. Bottom line is that the settings are being
> communicated.
>
> > Client's aren't so smart. If configured with multiple DNS servers,
> > some will use the first entry in the list for all lookups and not
> > attempt to query the other servers. Other clients will use all servers
> > in a round robin fashion. But if one server is down you will still
> > experience name lookup failures.
> So the best way to avoid this is not to list them? That seems counter,
> or do am I missing something? Wouldn't you list more than one to ensure
> the redundancy covers over failures?
>

> On Sep 17, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Dop Ganger wrote:
> >
> > Try dhcpdump (http://www.mavetju.org/unix/dhcpdump-man.php,
> > http://www.mavetju.org/download/dhcpdump-1.7.tar.gz). I believe
> > there's RPMs available, but I leave acquiring them as an exercise for
> > the reader :-)
> >
> This is good to know. Had a friend who dumped Rogers highspeed because
> they wouldn't believe that their dhcp system was failing him. Sometimes
> the truth just gets in the way...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rick Wightman

!DSPAM:432cb6d541084487285633!