[nSLUG] DHCP/DNS client-side question

Rick Wightman wightman at unb.ca
Sat Sep 17 21:16:41 ADT 2005

On Sep 17, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On the client look in /etc/resolv.conf it will list the DNS servers
> that the client will use. On that other OS run the command ipconfig
> /all.

I thought odd that and then discarded it since as a config file I
didn't  seem reasonable for the system to mess with it, but rather it
messes with the system. Bottom line is that the settings are being
communicated.

> Client's aren't so smart. If configured with multiple DNS servers,
> some will use the first entry in the list for all lookups and not
> attempt to query the other servers. Other clients will use all servers
> in a round robin fashion. But if one server is down you will still
> experience name lookup failures.
So the best way to avoid this is not to list them? That seems counter,
or do am I missing something? Wouldn't you list more than one to ensure
the redundancy covers over failures?

On Sep 17, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Dop Ganger wrote:

> Try dhcpdump (http://www.mavetju.org/unix/dhcpdump-man.php,
> http://www.mavetju.org/download/dhcpdump-1.7.tar.gz). I believe
> there's RPMs available, but I leave acquiring them as an exercise for
> the reader :-)

This is good to know. Had a friend who dumped Rogers highspeed because
they wouldn't believe that their dhcp system was failing him. Sometimes
the truth just gets in the way...

Cheers,

Rick Wightman

!DSPAM:432cb1fc39736932413512!