[nSLUG] Thin Clients has anyone experence with them?

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Tue Sep 13 18:50:47 ADT 2005

Dop Ganger wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>
>> Wyse and Neoware have models starting around U$200
>

> Last time I looked, the low end Wyse models (eg 1200LE) only supported
> ICA and RDP. They don't have any pricing on their new models so I
> don't know if it's still the same situation. Just something to watch
> out for...
>
>> I though of Thin Client, 'cause I'm getting lazy in my old age. I
>> though I could use one box running, say Debian Sarge and GNOME or KDE
>> and every desktop would have the same setup. Now on one box I have
>> Libranet 2.8.1 cedar, another Debian Sarge, another Debian Etch, this
>> is basically I do not run updates on every box that often.
>

> Another option is to look at User Mode Linux, if you want to isolate
> users, or segregate them onto different platforms for testing. That
> way you just need one box (admittedly with a fair bit of memory)
> instead of multiple machines. I can quite comfortable run 6 UML
> sessions on my 1 gig laptop and have room left over to run my regular
> session and applications.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO complicated for me. I like to work on the KISS principle.
Here is what I have and where I would like to go.

Have:  An Office that deals in adventure travel aimed at the European
market, Internet oriented. Half dozen or so stand alone Linux boxes,
with basically the same  Distro; but in different state of updates;
connected to a network printer and Internet. Some of these boxes are on
their last leg, like old. They are ready to be replaced.

The programs that are used the most are Openoffice, browser, mysql, book
keeping prog, gimp and bluefish for  for web development None of these
are really cpu  hogs.

Would like: One box to act as a server for  all data, applications
centralized. X-windows, one copy of Linux to update. As the old boxes
get replaced, use the simplest possible system  no Hdd, no big boxes
with fans;  bare minimum OS. Quite!  Applications, data and the X
windows (Gnome or Kde) all come from the server.

 I thought of thin clients