[nSLUG] Thin Clients has anyone experence with them?

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Tue Sep 13 15:39:20 ADT 2005

Dop Ganger wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>
>> I was thinking of installing a couple computers to replace old stock.
>> Does anyone knows the pros and cons of the thin clients like Wyse or
>> Neoware?
>

> I tried the Wyse 5150SE (I think that was the model) about a year ago.
> The problem then was that the only model that supported X was this
> relatively high end, expensive model. It booted off an internal flash
> disk and used a really godawful stone-age wm (twm, I think, or
> something of that vintage). As a result, it looked pretty naff. I
> booted it with PXE off a central server and it ran great.
>
> It looks like they've released some newer models since then that might
> be cheaper, though.

Wyse and Neoware have models starting around U$200

> I also played with the Sunrays too; they're rather neat, you can plug
> in your authentication card, start an mp3 playing, pull out your card,
> authenticate to another Sunray and your mp3 continues playing on the
> other Sunray.

I've look at them also nice toys :)

> Of course, this is all speccing out assuming you're going to grow with
> thin client apps. If you just want to dip your toe in to experiment
> with a couple of machines, any desktop machine with 128-256 meg of ram
> will do as a server.
>
> Cheers... Dop.

I though of Thin Client, 'cause I'm getting lazy in my old age. I though
I could use one box running, say Debian Sarge and GNOME or KDE and every
desktop would have the same setup. Now on one box I have Libranet 2.8.1
cedar, another Debian Sarge, another Debian Etch, this is basically I do
not run updates on every box that often.