[nSLUG] Thin Clients has anyone experence with them?

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 20:28:55 ADT 2005

I've never used such hardware, but a common
cost saving approach is to keep the older
machines and use something like
LTSP or PXES to run a diskless client.

I've used PXES with rdesktop and it works very well.
rdesktop with Windows is much better performance
and quality than something like VNC.

I prefer PXES over LTSP since there is no NFS
mount required. Just need enough memory on
the client to keep a good sized file system in RAM
(512 MB is lots).

Very strange to see a functional Win 2003 server
desktop filling the screen of a Sun.

On 9/8/05, J. Paul Bissonnette <jpaulb at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> I was thinking of installing a couple computers to replace old stock.
> Does anyone knows the pros and cons of the thin clients like Wyse or
> Neoware?
>
> Basic tasks are word processing web design, browser.
>
> How fast should the TC be to be acceptable, same with the server, would
> a 1200MHz Athlon be satisfactory.?
>

> Thanks
>
> Paul
>
> --