[nSLUG] 1.2 Gigabit wireless

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Fri Sep 2 15:04:46 ADT 2005

> Looking at some news on web.de. The DLR  (Germany space agency) has tested
> data transfer over a laser beam. The beam was transmitted from a balloon at
> an altitude of  22km, received by a ground station 60 km away. Error free
> Transmission speed was as high as 1.2 gigabit/sec.  DLR didn't say if they
> were using Linux . ;)

"Error free"? Doesn't all data transfer like this have errors? They are
just corrected? And there is a trade off between signal strength and error
rate (usually the probability of bit error I think).

Oh well. Reporters never have the interesting parts of the science in
their articles.

Jason

!DSPAM:43189518214434675813331!