[nSLUG] APC UPS

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:34:37 ADT 2005

I notice you say "APC's daemon". That is a different beast than
the apcupsd open source daemon mentioned by others.

The APC way is to buy all of their proprietary hardware and
software to link things up. For example, if you required
more than one machine to be controlled by the daemon,
it might not be possible without buying additional stuff
from APC (but I don't know the Smart UPS 3000 particulars).

apcupsd, on the other hand, can provide power down support
for several connected machines over ordinary ethernet,
including support for connected Windows clients.

--Donald Teed

On 9/2/05, Rick Wightman <wightman at nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I purchased an APC Smart-UPS 3000 RM from eBay last spring. I shall
> soon have the cable ready (serial) and have APC's daemon running under
> FedoraCore 2. Sounds good so far, but I'm wondering what kind of
> configuration is available for this. Documentation is sparse but does
> mention some user configurable parameters that may require "addittonal
> hardware of software". Seems cryptic enough.
>
> Anyone have any experience that they can comment from?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick Wightman

!DSPAM:43187f1a210141017418320!