[nSLUG] APC UPS

Dean Mitchell deanmitchell at accesswave.ca
Fri Sep 2 13:01:01 ADT 2005

> I purchased an APC Smart-UPS 3000 RM from eBay last spring. I shall
> soon have the cable ready (serial) and have APC's daemon running under
> FedoraCore 2. Sounds good so far, but I'm wondering what kind of
> configuration is available for this. Documentation is sparse but does
> mention some user configurable parameters that may require "addittonal
> hardware of software". Seems cryptic enough.
>
> Anyone have any experience that they can comment from?

man apcupsd should be some help.

The parameters I configured for a usb APC BACK-UPS ES 500 on Debian are:

# cat /etc/apcusd/apcupsd.conf | grep -v '#'

UPSNAME APC-ES-500
UPSCABLE usb
UPSTYPE usb
DEVICE /dev/usb/hiddev[0-15]
LOCKFILE /var/lock
ONBATTERYDELAY 6
BATTERYLEVEL 30
MINUTES 6
TIMEOUT 0
ANNOY 60
ANNOYDELAY 30
NOLOGON disable
KILLDELAY 0
NETSERVER on
NISIP 0.0.0.0
NISPORT 3551
EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
EVENTSFILEMAX 10
UPSCLASS standalone
UPSMODE disable
STATTIME 0
STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
LOGSTATS off
DATATIME 0

You need to change UPSCABLE (smart?), UPSTYPE (apcsmart?), and DEVICE
(/dev/ttyS*)

'BATTERYLEVEL 30' means shut down when battery level is at 30%
'MINUTES 6' Means shut down when there are 6 mins left on battery

You get the picture, man will tell you more.

!DSPAM:4318773e207725340384585!