[nSLUG] Fwd: ISC dhcpd on Linux and Novell...uh...stuff.

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sun Oct 23 17:39:35 ADT 2005

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:25:20 +0200
Soren Aalto <soren.aalto at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/05, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:31:17 +0200
> > Soren Aalto <soren.aalto at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > delete dhcpd.leases and restart the server. Every lease should be
> > new then.
>
> Well, yeah...kinda dangerous, though?  Have about 800 clients
> with active leases.

That just makes life more fun!  :-)

I wonder if changeing the tstp (time server thinks lease expires) and
restarting the server would work? It may be just as harsh as deleting
the whole file.

I would try releaseing an renewing the address. If that fails delete
that one machines entry from dhcpd.leases and try again.

>From your earlier tests it looks like the information is only propagated
on new requests. And from dhcpd.conf:

DYNAMIC ADDRESS ALLOCATION
  Address allocation is actually only done when a client is in the INIT
  state and has sent a DHCPDISCOVER message.  If the client  thinks  it
  has  a  valid lease and sends a DHCPREQUEST to initiate or renew that
  lease, the server has only three choices - it can ignore the  DHCPRE­
  QUEST,  send  a  DHCPNAK  to tell the client it should stop using the
  address, or send a DHCPACK, telling the client to go  ahead  and  use
  the address for a while.

>From my reading I see no other way to propagate those new paramters then
to force each client into the INIT state and get a new lease. I don't
think a windows dhcp server would be any different.

--
sg

!DSPAM:435bf516136707911449276!