[nSLUG] Fwd: ISC dhcpd on Linux and Novell...uh...stuff.

Soren Aalto soren.aalto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:42:55 ADT 2005

On 10/23/05, Donald Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just two little things to contribute:
>
> - I think you can force all leases to renew by doing a
> restart on DHCP server.

It didn't seem like it -- I do a restart every time I modify
the conf file anyway...because SuSE runs a chrooted
dhcpd, so you have to to get /etc/dhcpd.conf copied
to wherever it runs from in /var/run/dhcpd.

So after I made the changes, I watched dhcp traffic with
tcpdump for awhile, not seeing the options being set, and
then every once-in-awhile seeing a reply packet with the
new options set.

> - If the vendor is Novell, what would they say if you were
> running Suse Enterprise as the DHCP server?  Would they
> actually say "dump our product and use Windows?"

Well, it is SuSE enterprise.  Which we were forced to
use because we had to use an "enterprise" Linux, and
since we already have a big Novell license, we get SuSE EL
for free.  Or something like that.

But this is all through a 3rd party umbrella IT services provider
that subcontracts the cabling, the Cisco implementation,
the IBM blade server & SAN stuff, and another group does
the server setup, Netware, some Windows and they installed
our SuSE EL stuff.  Yikes.  I didn't know they were doing it,
I wouldn't have let them if I had known.

Anyway, the guy running the project hates Novell and only
like Windows and basically doesn't know squat about OSS
(at one point he was compiling a skills/workload matrix for
our staff, and I was explaining that I wrote a bunch of webapps
for academic registration, timetabling, etc.  He asked if I
was doing this in Delphi.  'scuse my ignorance, but *can* you
write webapps in Delphi?  Does anybody?)

> I think Novell has to get their act together.  In a similar
> way they have introduced iPrint, which does not support
> authentication from Mac and Linux printer clients.
> Unless Novell's motto is "where do you want to go
> today", they need to re-educate project managers.

I think there is a big dissonance between the Novell camp,
that mainly consists of Netware jocks and the Linux folk, and
I keep hearing the the future of Netware is on Linux.

--
J2EE -- the Hamiltonian mechanics of webapp
development.

!DSPAM:435bcba0128371074828463!