[nSLUG] Truncated Message

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Nov 30 10:31:59 AST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 10:24 -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> Odd.  Now, mailx (command-line mail client) sees a period on a line by
> itself as the end of your message, so maybe this is a related issue?
>
> Anyway, this message has a period in the first column on the next line,
> followed by my closing.  If you don't see "Ben" on the last line, it is
> truncated.  If you do, I suspect the fault is with kmail, not the
> mailing list software or the nslug mail server.

OK.  I did an additional test.  Apparently it is truncated by the mail
server.  A period on a line by itself signals the end of the mail
message (not just a mailx thing, which I should have remembered).  This
is normal behaviour for an SMTP server.  I just wasn't aware that such
lines are not filtered, as in the case when you include a line with