[nSLUG] MPlayer problem in PCLinuxOS

rejean chamberland laudire2you at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 29 21:57:21 AST 2005

Jack Warkentin <jwark at eastlink.ca> wrote:Here is a general method of killing processes that will work for *any*
UNIX-like OS.

First, open a terminal window and read the man pages for the 'ps' and
'kill' commands to obtain some background.

'ps' lists processes and 'kill' allows you to kill them, if you have
the necessary permissions.

'ps' has many options that will select which processes to list and
what format to list them in. I always use the '-e' option to list
*all* processes, because sometimes the one you want happens to be
owned by some username other than yourself. Also, the items of
interest to me are the username, the process id, the parent process
id and the command used to invoke the process. So I use the command

ps -e -o uname,pid,ppid,cmd c

(The 'c' on the end just provides the name of the command instead of
the full command line used to start the process.) Note that your
version of ps may behave slightly differently. In almost all cases,
though, ps -ef will give you the information you need, and then some.

Once you have the list of processes, look down the list, probably
towards the end, because the process or processes you want to kill
will usually be quite recent ones. Use the command name to identify
which processes are the ones you want to kill. Then check the
username to see if it is the one by which you are logged in. If it
is, you can kill the processes using the kill command directly.

For example, here is a partial list obtained by the above ps command
on my system just now:

USER       PID  PPID CMD
root         1     0 init
root         2     1 migration/0
root         3     1 ksof

 Thanks a lot for the info Jack!
 Sorry for not answering earlier but I've been away for the last 2 days. I will practice what you suggested and read the 'man'.
 The good news is that I had to install PCLinuxOS 0.9.2 from the install CDs instead of keeping on upgrading due to my lack of knowledge which did fix the problem I had with the MPlayer so I can now close all the windows I was refering to when I posted earlier, but it is always good to learn more so I thank you once again.
 Réjean

!DSPAM:438d0703225191794274728!