[nSLUG] Re: Java installation question

George White gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:24:31 AST 2005

On 11/27/05, Kevin Fleming <kfleming at accesswave.ca> wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> 	I recently downloaded a copy of Mandriva Free 2006.0, the Open Source
> variant of the standard Mandriva distro.  I then downloaded and
> installed the Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0.05-linux.rpm from Sun.
> After installation I added links to the usual places for web browsers to
> find Java support, then found that it was NOT registered in the PATH
> variable.
>
> 	To take care of this (so I thought) I added a java.sh script
> into /etc/profile.d/ and made sure it was executable.  After reboot and
> checking PATH, the JRE_HOME variable is included in the path, but 'which
> java' and 'whereis java' both come back to say that NO Java is installed
> in the system.  I could, I suppose, try making a link to the Java
> executable in /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin, but I really don't think that
> would be exactly kosher.

You probably want something like PATH="$JRE_HOME/bin:$PATH" in java.sh (or
"prepend-path $JRE_HOME/bin" if your profile.d uses that).  You should post
your java.sh script if you are still having trouble.

Symbolic links would also work, but there are several programs in the bin
directory that may need links as well.  It is better to put all your
customizations in one place.

> 	Could anyone please point me in the right direction to solve this
> problem?  I cannot think of any other avenues to follow to get Java into
> service throughout the system.  What am I missing?

For people who work from the command line, I like a package called
"environment modules" (on sourceforge) which allows you to quickly
reconfigure your environment to use different packages and versions.
You may need jre 1.5 for some web sites, but then want to test a java
applet you wrote with the GNU java environment that came with your
distro.  There are lots of good docs on the environment modules
package as it is commonly used at large sites.   SGI includes it with
IRIX, even tho it was written by Sun people.

--
George N. White III
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:438b0511204117967316514!