[nSLUG] freebsd for sparc64.addendum

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:17:21 AST 2005

I previously did test a the sysinstall options for shell session and the
live CD.

The FreeBSD 6.0 installer CD's shell session produced a # prompt
on a vt, but very little would function from there.  I could do built-ins
like echo, but there was nothing mounted, and thus most
commands tested failed.  This might be a specific problem to the
sparc at this time.

I also tried the live CD installer menu item, (or whatever they called
it), and it prompted for me to insert a CD, so I guess this is best for
x86 where such things are available.

I have not tried OpenBSD's CD - that's an option to check out.

--Donald

On 11/27/05, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 03:49:03 -0400
> Donald Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've
> > wondered how to rescue BSD on the sparc platform.
>
> The last time I used the FreeBSD installer there was a rescue option.
> The OpenBSD install image can boot to a shell. I believe NetBSD can as
> well. Long before there were "live cds" all of the better *nix (Linux,
> BSD, Solaris, and the rest) install images (cd, floppy, net, etc) could
> take you to a shell that has enough to rescue the system.
>
> --
> sg

!DSPAM:438b1171205911883913345!