[nSLUG] Re: Java installation question

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:03:48 AST 2005

Some things to try:
run:
echo $PATH

Do you see /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin in there?
Perhaps the updated PATH variable needs to be exported as well?

run:
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin/java -version

(to test it is readable and executable)

As Mr. Spencer notes, which and whereis are for things that are found.  If
you want to locate things that are not found, use locate.  You might have
to  run updatedb to make the locate database current.

How do your web browsers start? Sometimes they are actually a shell script
wrapper, and inside of that they set the PATH.

Another possibility is that your particular distro and browsers work better
with Blackdown JRE than with Sun's JRE.

--Donald

On 11/27/05, Kevin Fleming <kfleming at accesswave.ca> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
>         I recently downloaded a copy of Mandriva Free 2006.0, the Open
> Source
> variant of the standard Mandriva distro.  I then downloaded and
> installed the Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0.05-linux.rpm from Sun.
> After installation I added links to the usual places for web browsers to
> find Java support, then found that it was NOT registered in the PATH
> variable.
>
>         To take care of this (so I thought) I added a java.sh script
> into /etc/profile.d/ and made sure it was executable.  After reboot and
> checking PATH, the JRE_HOME variable is included in the path, but 'which
> java' and 'whereis java' both come back to say that NO Java is installed
> in the system.  I could, I suppose, try making a link to the Java
> executable in /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin, but I really don't think that
> would be exactly kosher.
>
>         Could anyone please point me in the right direction to solve this
> problem?  I cannot think of any other avenues to follow to get Java into
> service throughout the system.  What am I missing?
>
> --
> Kevin Fleming
>
> kfleming at accesswave.ca
>
> 21 Winterhill Road