[nSLUG] Re: what distro for this old machine

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Nov 28 04:15:41 AST 2005

> I have a p2 266, 64meg memory (trying to get it up to 128meg) 32 meg
> matrox g550 vid card, 3 gig hard drive. What distro would be the
> best for this machine?

I'm running Slackware 10 on 2 P-IIs, a P133 and Toshiba Satellite Pro
430CDS.  X works fine using twm but neither Gnome nor KDE.  The 3G HD
means you'll want to do a custom install so as to skip unneccesary
stuff and save space on the HD. (One of the P-IIs and the P133 have
20G HDs but the laptop and the other PII have only -- I forget --
about 3G.)  The PIIs have 128M RAM but the P133 only has 32M and is
fine for most stuff. The Toshiba only has 24M and is still mostly
okay.  I doubt that any of these machines would run Gnome of KDE at a
satisfactory speed so it's good that I don't want them.

CPU speed seems okay for most apps.  Netscape 4.76 is fine, Foxfire
just a tad sluggish.  Using the PIIs, motion (webcam motion detetion
app) works okay but drops a lot of frames because (I assume) the CPU
can't do the frame comparisons as fast as the cam can send them.

I have tried to run a bootable Knoppix CD on one of the PIIs and it
was the pits.

FWIW,
- Mike

                                                           /V\