[nSLUG] what distro for this old machine

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sun Nov 27 21:39:53 AST 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:03:23 -0400
matt parker <flame at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I have a p2 266, 64meg memory (trying to get it up to 128meg) 32 meg
> matrox  g550 vid card, 3 gig hard drive. What distro would be the best

X will work but gnome and kde won't. Lightweight window managers such as
icewm, fvwm, and wmaker should work. Consider running in 8 bit colour
mode until you get more ram. Firefox might work.

Any distro should work, but a more customizable distro will work better.
Consider slackware, crux, or debian. Gentoo will work, but I would get
tired of the compile times.

--
sg

!DSPAM:438a5fd4191911385417513!