[nSLUG] Re: Java installation question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Nov 27 15:06:14 AST 2005

> 	To take care of this (so I thought) I added a java.sh script
> into /etc/profile.d/ and made sure it was executable.  After reboot and
> checking PATH, the JRE_HOME variable is included in the path, but 'which
> java' and 'whereis java' both come back to say that NO Java is installed
> in the system.  I could, I suppose, try making a link to the Java
> executable in /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin, but I really don't think that
> would be exactly kosher.
>
> 	Could anyone please point me in the right direction to solve this
> problem?  I cannot think of any other avenues to follow to get Java into
> service throughout the system.  What am I missing?

I'm not sure I understand what, exactly, "the JRE_HOME variable is
included in the path" means but FWIW I'll comment anyhow.

>From the ``whereis'' manpage:

      whereis has a hard-coded path, so may not always find what
      you're looking for.

> I could, I suppose, try making a link to the Java executable in
> /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin, but I really don't think that would be
> exactly kosher.

Why *not* put a link wherever it's convenient?  My /usr/bin has
(f'rgzample) lots of symbolic links to executables scattered in various
directories.

And: which shell do you use?  tcsh has its own, built-in ``which''
that behaves differently from /bin/which so under tcsh you have to
explicitly type /bin/which or use an alias that points there if you
want /bin/which functionality.

That any help at all?
- Mike

                                                           /V\