[nSLUG] Re: Java installation question

Kevin Fleming kfleming at accesswave.ca
Sun Nov 27 14:01:26 AST 2005

Hello All:

	I recently downloaded a copy of Mandriva Free 2006.0, the Open Source
variant of the standard Mandriva distro.  I then downloaded and
installed the Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0.05-linux.rpm from Sun.
After installation I added links to the usual places for web browsers to
find Java support, then found that it was NOT registered in the PATH
variable.

	To take care of this (so I thought) I added a java.sh script
into /etc/profile.d/ and made sure it was executable.  After reboot and
checking PATH, the JRE_HOME variable is included in the path, but 'which
java' and 'whereis java' both come back to say that NO Java is installed
in the system.  I could, I suppose, try making a link to the Java
executable in /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin, but I really don't think that
would be exactly kosher.

	Could anyone please point me in the right direction to solve this
problem?  I cannot think of any other avenues to follow to get Java into
service throughout the system.  What am I missing?

--
Kevin Fleming

kfleming at accesswave.ca

21 Winterhill Road